Wednesday, March 20, 2019

You Cook, I'll Clean

I know I'm lucky. I've heard of couples who work out an arrangement: one cooks the meal and the other cleans up. My husband prefers to do both. Who am I to keep him from his daily dose of joy? Some like to collapse on the couch after a long day. He likes to pull ingredients from the fridge and start chopping.

When I returned from walking the dog, red peppers roasted, blistering on the stove top. Chickpeas and tahini swirled in the blender. He was frying falafel in oil and plating up pita and tzatziki.

Load the dishwasher and scrub the pans, too? Most days, as I said, he's got it covered. Tonight I wanted some of that kitchen vibe for myself because, well, he can't have all the fun. I threw that kitchen action into reverse and the podcast in my ears wasn't even over when the place was all packed and polished. 

I love to turn the lights down on an empty kitchen table when only an hour before, my family was enjoying an end-of-day feast.

Lucky am I.

3 comments:

  1. Very lucky! But in all seriousness this is a really great slice. I love the flip of the roles here and the language you used to keep the flow light and sweet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect evening and a delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The final image of turning out the lights on your clean kitchen is resonant. Nice slice!

    ReplyDelete