Weekly discussion questions might include:
What does gratitude even mean at a time like this?
Do the men need to know I don't translate everything word-for-word?
How many generations before we get credit for this bullshit?
Do the men need to know I don't translate everything word-for-word?
How many generations before we get credit for this bullshit?
I didn't learn about many in social studies class, but the internet led me to a couple others with lots to offer the girls' group. Nanye-hi, a beloved Cherokee warrior and diplomat, famously scolded U.S. treaty commissioners by saying, "we are your mothers; you are our sons." Later, there was Mourning Dove, the pen name for Swy-ayl-puh, who wrote herself into history by crafting her own novel and short stories. More research would certainly reveal a list much longer. Yet for all that we do know about women throughout history, Lord only knows what we don't.
Certainly, there were countless women who never made it to the history books. Champions of their people. Fierce mothers and daughters. Hunters and healers. Artists and teachers. Sharp-tongued divas who didn’t let their husbands and fathers write the story of their lives.
Certainly, there were countless women who never made it to the history books. Champions of their people. Fierce mothers and daughters. Hunters and healers. Artists and teachers. Sharp-tongued divas who didn’t let their husbands and fathers write the story of their lives.
Now I see where this is going!
ReplyDeleteFierce!
Sounds like a great book idea!
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister!
ReplyDeleteNice - I agree with Tracey - fierce is a great description!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great opening line! I agree with Mary that you have a book in the making here, or at least a brilliant short story.
ReplyDelete