"Read it, but don't say a word. Then pass it on."
The unspoken story grows large in the minds of its readers. Larger than a dream, cloud-like and billowing over voiceless heads, taking on a meaning much bigger than itself. Because it doesn't need to be spoken as the words become truth and truth finally leads to action. The cloud grows heavier, darker, blacker, as each undercover reader turns wrinkled pages. Then it rains.
And the reason the book was a secret has been washed away. Just a history lesson. A reminder that although books shouldn't have to be a secret, they have the power to expose them.
I talked with a father at parent-teacher conferences yesterday. He read Animal Farm in Ukraine when it was against the law to do so. He was about thirteen at the time.
"It's a very important text," he told me. "I'm glad my son has read it."
We didn't read it in secret. Thank god. But I'll never forget meeting someone who did.
Wow. What a powerful narrative... At first I couldn't tell if this had been your experience or someone else's. How amazing that the father of your student shared this with you.
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing story, well written. You got your readers to feel the impact of going through, hiding to read a text and passing it on.
ReplyDeleteSo interesting! I've only ever felt like this when by book club decided to read 50 Shades of Grey and I read it on the Kindle because I didn't want anyone to see me reading it (it was horrible for the record...terrible writing).
ReplyDeleteWhat a thing to remember. Can't imagine having to keep a book a secret.
ReplyDeleteWhat a compelling piece. Honestly, if I were you, I’d talk more to the father; I’d want him to come in and talk to your students. After that, I’d add to this piece and send it out for publication.
ReplyDeleteVery moving post.. I once had a Russian student who loved that book, and understood it better than anyone I have ever known. What a great experience for the parent to know that his son not only read the book but was able to discuss it openly in your class. Conference days have special gifts embedded. Nice writing. I liked the build up and wondered what book you could be talking about.
ReplyDeleteIt is me Colleen Leah, I do not know why I keep showing up as unknown- maybe it's like a secret book or something....
ReplyDelete