Without looking at your notes, map out the elements of a five-paragraph essay in five minutes. Students with complete and correct outlines earn a Jolly Rancher.
What is it about that teeny-tiny sweet that fuels even the most sluggish pencils to zoom like racecars across the page? Friday fatigue might have set in, but you wouldn't know it by watching these kids work. In case I had any doubt, each one can spit out an essay formula with more efficiency than a machine.
I believe in intrinsic rewards. There is nothing better than the spark that ignites a person who conquers a challenge. When struggling students improve, the wrinkles in their brows smooth. Their shoulders broaden. They speak up. And to be a part of this success? It's enough to put a spring in my step any day.
But oh my goodness. You should see how wide they smile when they get the last blue raspberry left in the basket...because that flavor Jolly Rancher is always the first. to. go.
The power of the Jolly Rancher - so funny. My last year of teaching I worked with a co-teacher who liked to use the candies as a motivator. I couldn't believe that 7th graders would work so hard for one. (I much prefer intrinsic rewards, but sometimes a Jolly Rancher is just the thing.)
ReplyDeleteI struggle with this, too, but maybe it's the way we're built... Intrinsic is the tick and extrinsic is the tock.
ReplyDeleteI don't really like Jolly Ranchers, but even so, I would have loved your class when I was in 8th grade!
ReplyDeleteIntrinsic rewards are ideal, but don"t we get paid to work? That's what I tell myself anyway.
ReplyDeleteSo true!! Why doesn't Jolly Rancher make big bagfuls of blue raspberries. What is a blue raspberry anyway?
ReplyDeleteI want my intrinsic motivation with an extrinsic sweet on top! Love your way with words.
ReplyDelete