Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Breaking Free

My mind was elsewhere when I stopped at home today. No, my mind wasn't elsewhere. It was very much with me, spinning like a cyclone and holding worries in its vortex. This might be why I don't remember letting the dog out, not one bit.

My heart was full of rocks. Not fair, I know, because it's not my heart I've been worried about. We drove together to my son's appointment, tumbling questions about like stones stuck in a rolling wave. I wonder if my dog stood long at the gate because I surely closed it on her nose. 

My eyes burned at the doctor's office. Restless sleep made for a lemon-juice-sting I couldn't blink away. The dog took a nap, I hope, in the sunniest corner of the yard. 

My ears were stuffed with muslin. Listening to better news, I  pulled it out, strand by strand until I could enjoy the clarity of encouraging words. That must have been when my dog jumped the fence, jubilant liberation, right into the arms of our neighbors who gave her hugs and took her home.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, the forgiveness of our dogs. There is nothing that even comes close. So glad he's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Alice Thundercracker had herself a little adventure. Fortunately, your neighbors were a big part of the adventure. Now she snuggles next to you trying to tell you about all the things she saw this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness! I'm glad that you received some encouraging words at the appointment. I'm also glad your neighbors were there for your dog. Our neighbors have brought our dog home, too. You can fault yourself. It happens to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you crafted this piece...the unnoticed dog...the worry...the pulling out of muslin from your ears. Such strong emotion revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heart full of rocks really got me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so effective the way the jubilation over the rescued dog develops all of ours (yours and ours)
    over the encouraging health news. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad all of you are ok! The line "ears stuffed with muslin" is such a tactile - and totally powerful image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exquisitely crafted and delivered. So much power packed in this slice. My heart filled with rocks and eyes stung with lemon juice with you. The unforgettable image of ears stuffed with muslin sticks with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there and your post totally captures how I feel in these full-of-worry moments in life. The moments when we drop the ball on our other responsibilities. Beautifully crafted, as always. (Glad you heard encouraging news.)

    ReplyDelete