When I was in high school, I went through a bike riding phase. No, I didn't join a cycling club--I just climbed on a two-wheeler tour after school for a while. I hit the trail and rode as far away from my house as I could. If I place it on my bio-line, it was an awkward time between school transfers and typically messy homelife challenges. Riding was meditation where fresh air washed away worries. Zooming left and right around the twists and turns, I soared from reality, and when no one was watching I opened right up and sang as loud as I could. Through the tunnels that echoed, I belted out my best show tune hits, and man, did I have range back then. Daily journeys like these took me to another world.
One day, a grassy green knoll by the creek tempted me off the course. "You've got a lot on your mind," it called. "Stop for a while." I threw my kickstand down and reclined in the sun, listening to chirping birds and passers-by until I drifted off, asleep.
There might have been the clicking of gears in my dreams, but when I awoke, I could only see the wide behind of a boy on my bike, pedaling away like his life depended on it. I ran for long enough to know I wouldn't catch him. I ran for long enough to realize I had no idea what I'd do if I caught him. I headed home on foot and in shame to admit my careless mistake.
"That boy must have needed your bike more than you do," my dad said, a pretty good attitude considering how annoyed he must have been. And if I recall, I kept singing songs and rehearsing lines on a bike, but it was on my mom's.
Like any year, book thieves have thinned my classroom shelves, and between now and June, I'll take to bribery and bullying. The sign-out log helps in a lot of cases, but what about the ones that ghosted? Covetous covers grew legs and simply walked away.
Bring my books back "or else", I'll threaten. If they don't, my hope is they won't stay buried in a closet somewhere. Open those books for goodness sake...and sing.
This is a good one! I wish they were stealing our books for as pure a reason as you rode your bike, but I kinda doubt it.
ReplyDeleteI like how you wove together the story of the stolen books and the stolen bike. It always made me sad - and a bit mad - when some of the newest and best titles disappeared from the classroom shelves. Inevitably, some of them were found in locker clean-outs but some disappeared forever. Great, hopeful last line: "Open those books for goodness sake, and sing."
ReplyDeleteAll in the cause of furthering the engagement of students in reading! Write it off...
ReplyDeleteI used to tell my students, "Bring them back, whenever. No questions asked."
ReplyDeleteAnd I still remember the year I returned to my classroom in August to a grocery bag full of books and a Starbucks gift card on top.
I like picturing young Leah, riding along on her bike, belting out a few show tunes!
ReplyDeleteOh, how I know this song and dance well. Go to the Library Book Sale and see if any ended up there. They will give those to you for free, I believe.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite lost book mystery occurred last year when students told me that they had seen my The Hate You Give sitting in an endcap in the Rite Aid in Westover. They told me they knew it was mine because it was labeled with my name. Dumbfounded I asked the students who reported out on the sighting, "Why didn't you grab it and bring it back to me?" (crickets)
ReplyDeleteBy the time I arrived at the drugstore the next day, the Rite Aid employees had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if they had turned up a novel with my name on it.
I can envision you, heart in your throat, watching your bike disappear. I feel so terrible for young Leah. But...I love your dad! What a model of perfect parental understanding.
ReplyDelete