I never stopped shuffling my deck of cards today. Although I may have drawn the queen of hearts at the start, she was swiftly made a commoner along with 51 friends and enemies. Every single priority of mine, no matter the number or suit, was shifted and sifted from top, to middle, and to bottom. I dealt myself a few good hands--some pairs, some sets of three, some four. These were the most agreeable--see I favor alignment--and when I was just one card from a royal flush, I bristled at its sense of entitlement and kicked the king under the table.
At the end of the day, I lay every card from smallest to largest and from black to red. Even in such neat rows and layers, I found it hard to pick favorites. Such order was unsettling and no fun at all. So I went right back to shuffling because it's not even a game unless the deck is 100% mixed up. And if it's not a game, what's the fun in that?
I love your descriptions of the shuffling, shifting and sifting from the top. I feel like I am with you at the card table.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting slice. I like the contrast and twists.
ReplyDeleteWonderful metaphor! I especially like the action of kicking the king under the table :-)
ReplyDeleteI have read this one again and again, using all my powers of inference, but I just don't have enough background information. Even so, I admire the writing!
ReplyDelete