Thursday, March 7, 2019

It's Not Rocket Science

A chemical reaction, fizzing effervescence, bubbling over, sparks of light. That is what today's lit mag meeting was like. When I was a kid, I'd pretend to be a scientist when the grownups weren't watching. I'd climb the counter to reach materials: salt, baking soda, food dye, and vinegar. Jelly jars became beakers. The turkey baster made it official. Mysterious concoctions simmered in jars with each splash of a new ingredient, despite my imprecision.

In a rush from morning to afternoon, I ran out of time to plan our meeting. All I had were the jelly jars and a bunch of creative kids. A dash of this and a dollop of that--I stirred things up, but mostly I observed. The colors swirled, the pages filled, molecules commingled. Their energy spilled into the second hour. There was no point in recording the steps--too many variables to count--but the results were reliably fun.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the best things happen when we're not completely prepared. Love the images and the staccato-ish language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the visual imagery that you used to show this creation time in your meeting. I love a "dash of this and a dollop of that".

    ReplyDelete