Friday, March 8, 2019

Check the Forecast

Maybe because it's snowing outside, we're talking about summer. It has nothing to do with school and everything to do with my cold feet. My ankles haven't seen the light since October. No outfit is complete without a scarf, and this winter my scarves have grown to such comic proportions, one could double as an afghan.

Summer plans mean packing up my class and drop-offs at camp. Trips to the pool and drives up I-95. I can wait for those things--I would just like the snow to stop falling. I'm dreaming of a generous sun that gives long into the evening. Short sleeves and painted toenails. Green things that grow in the garden. Going for a long run in the early morning.

Since I can't make the snow stop falling, I've brewed hot tea. We've all stripped coats and gloves to settle in for the night. Talking about summer doesn't make it summer, but an extra large scarf plus my hopes and dreams will do just fine.

6 comments:

  1. I feel you. It’s time for a change. Daylight saving time starts this weekend, here’s hoping that helps bring some light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the frustration of the line, "My ankles haven't seen the light since October." Hot tea sounds nice, I opted for a big bowl of warm popcorn and my t-shirt quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This winter is never ending. Glad you’re thinking of warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you can paint your toenails by the fire to get ready for the 70 degrees we're supposed to get on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to think of my afghan scarves as cozy stuffed animals wrapped around my neck during these dull, gray snowy days. Just a thought.

    Beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So incredibly true! At times I am wearing TWO scarves, a comical sight indeed.

    ReplyDelete