Monday, March 18, 2019

Birthday Pancakes

Just about twenty-one years ago, I whisked up a family birthday tradition. I was a young mom and with neither coin nor community, so the best I could do to start my first-born's birthday right was to combine eggs, flour, and milk for a batch of pancakes, pouring the very first into the shape of a #1. Now with three boys and their dad in the mix, I haven't missed a birthday since. Photos of my drippy creations capture every age of my dear ones in square photographs.

This early morning I stepped into my routine, quiet and content. Coffee brewed while I made the sandwiches and sliced the oranges while the rest of the house slept. Slipping into the bathroom to dry my damp hair, I found my husband was missing from our bed when I returned. The stealthy chef stood by the stove, and a golden brown 45 sizzled on the pan. The tradition of love and pancakes lives on. Happy birthday to me.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, my friend!! Your post is reminding me of Leigh's memories or her mom making pancakes and waffles in the Astonishing Color of After. I hope you enjoyed your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Happy Birthday to you! I hope you enjoyed the pancakes and captured the memory with a photograph. Do you have an album of all the pancake pictures? So lovely to have a ritual tradition like this. You kids will remember it always and hopefully pass it on their kids:) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Leah - what a lovely gesture by your hubby. HOpe you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tradition! I wonder if your kids got more excited when they got to the 2-digit birthdays- more pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love this line: "with neither coin nor community"! I also love the pancake tradition :-)

    ReplyDelete