Friday, March 22, 2019

Thunderstorm of Hail and Fire

"This feels biblical," I said to my neighbor, crouching under an umbrella at the bus stop after school. Thunder warned us that serious weather was on the way, but I wasn't expecting the penny-sized ice chips that fell in sheets from the sky.

The seventh plague in the Book of Exodus is hail. In other words, the Pharoah had been warned six times already to let Moses's people go. The fact that the Pharoah could dismiss blood, frogs, lice, flies, pestilence, and boils as mild inconvenience is surprising, right?

In Exodus 9:13-35, God showcases his powerful portfolio and suggested to Moses that he share this message: "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the earth. But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

It's true, the problems that befall us all are incomprehensible. Locusts, darkness, and death are on the horizon for everyone. But that's not fun food for thought on a Friday night, is it? Instead, I choose to see nature's omnipotence as a gift, not a curse.

I stepped out from my friend's umbrella and soaked in the strange combination of pelting ice and mild spring air. Frost encrusted the crown of my head. Pellets hit the asphalt and skipped like villagers to shelter. My boy and I ran home in awe of the thunderstorm of hail, and the fire of wonder lit our path.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful moment! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite a storm. I like the positive spin in the last paragraph. Favorite line- "Pellets hit the asphalt and skipped like villagers to shelter."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post takes the topic of March weather to a whole new place! I never really thought about hail being so high on the list of plagues, and I agree with Mary about the villagers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely - I hadn't thought of it in biblical terms...:) I too love the positive spin in the line, "I choose to see nature's omnipotence as a gift, not a curse."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "penny sized ice chops" and "the fire of wonder lit our path" love those lines. You are right, it id feel biblical. Love your description and positive attitue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your lines "penny sized ice chips' and "fire of wonder lit our paths" I always appreciate your positive outlook on life...

    ReplyDelete