Friday, March 29, 2019

Poetry of the Feet

When I was in high school, I fancied myself a dancer, but not in a traditional sense. On the musical stage, I could keep up with a choreographer when she'd lead us through a series of step-step-pivot-turns. I loved learning the routines, but when in doubt--jazz hands. Like riding a bike, I can still tap the time step and sometimes when students ask me what they should do when they complete a task, I suggest they try to "Shuffle Off to Buffalo." I mean, they've earned it, right?

One pivotal role I played was Essie, a dancer who couldn't really dance, in You Can't Take It With You. It was the perfect part for me because I got to work alongside an actual ballet dancer on moves like the arabesque and pas de chat, but there was absolutely no hope that I'd be any good. I was born to be Essie.

This evening, I was caught by surprise by a musical feature of the taekwondo class that came before my son's. At first, this group of advanced students moved in a series of positions in such precise unison that the whisper of the fabric of their cotton uniforms grew like thunder. Then came the voice of Grand Master Jhoon Rhee introducing Beethoven's 5th symphony. A room full of eighth to twelfth-grade black belts danced in perfect synchronicity, showcasing strength, grace, and control. All are qualities I expect in the martial arts, but the elements of music and dance moved me.

No doubt, I know better than Essie where we stand on the dance floor, but we both understand its power to pull our heartstrings. I can't claim to be any good, but boy it's fun. I just might wear tap shoes to school next week.

5 comments:

  1. Don't they say it's never too late to learn something new? Maybe it's time to sign up for a dance class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the line, "we both understand its power to pull our heartstrings." So true - love the way you reveal your high school self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece has it all: strength, grace, control, and jazz hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about your dance history. I bet you were an awesome Essie! Your Shuffle off to Buffalo allusion brought back memories for me as well. I also took tap and ballet for years, performing the Black Bottom, Charleston, and doing the "Shuffle off to Buffalo routine with Ms. DeRocco, our dance teacher You have so much personality, I could totally see you in drama and dance. I was at the same program you were last week and enjoyed all the dancers as well- I especially loved the class singing in Spanish about what they eat, and the donut on stage.I feel the life in your writing and the savoring of special moments. You are somebody who appreciates life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you see unknown it is I (not me) Colleen

    ReplyDelete