But those moments I decide to be bold? When I snag the room with the best view or move into the spot at the front of the line, it's the guilt that gets me.
This morning, I was faced with a choice. A colleague greeted me at my classroom door with a literal cake and a knife. It was a king cake, striped with the green, purple, and gold of Mardi Gras, and I would be the first to try for the baby. Knowing that my luck for the entire year hung in the balance of this slice, I should have taken one the size of Virgina, but I didn't.
I assessed my prospects, turned the plate around a few times, and picked my spot.
"Cut a bigger piece," my friend encouraged when she saw how small a sliver I was taking. "You won't have a chance."
Lifting it up, we were shocked to see the crown of the baby's head peeking through.
"I got it!" I exclaimed.
The celebration continued later when my friend visited my class to announce the news. I wouldn't have shared my success, but I basked in glory when she prompted students to write about the good fortune they hoped I'd receive OR one reason they're fortunate to be in my class. There's no telling if any more luck is heading my way, but based on those notes, I'm off to a great start.
Now I'm left with a dilemma. Today, I was rewarded for taking the smaller slice, but it doesn't often work out that way. What size piece should I take tomorrow?
Ha! This is a timely post. I hope you are full of good luck this year. I applaud you for taking small pieces; my eyes are always bigger than my stomach. Your selflessness is commendable.
ReplyDeleteI love your slice about a literal slice! May this good fortune follow you through this month and beyond.
ReplyDeleteWow! Both you and Mary got the baby? I hope your luck rubs off on all of us! (And take whatever slice seems right in the moment.)
ReplyDeleteI love this slice about slicing!
ReplyDelete! I keep rereading it the way finer tips might continually swipe frosting from a plate! Such a delicious slice,Leah!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am with Tracey. Sometimes we only need a small slice but other times, life gives us a chance for a bigger slice. I am glad the universe recognized, regardless of the slice, you are most deserving of the luck!
ReplyDeleteExactly what I thought when she got the baby! Well deserved!
DeleteLet the good luck continue to flow your way!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your thoughts about this! The window into your brain made me think about my own agonizing over portions of things and why taking the first, biggest, last, etc of anything causes such a reaction.
ReplyDelete