Thursday, March 14, 2019

Leave It Open

To call it a door is to withhold the honor it deserves for transporting me to another world. This time, it was a portal because it led me to a place I forgot existed. From school, I emerged and caught a glimpse of paradise.

The sun lay its hands on my head; the breeze brushed my skin like a pair of fresh sheets. A flock of blackbirds startled at the sound of footsteps. Their path led my gaze from the damp earth to silvery branches of a tree with a backdrop of blue sky and wispy clouds. I spent the afternoon exploring this wonderland with my youngest--a long walk on the path, an open field for the dog, a creek for skipping rocks.

Every day I walk through doors. Days like today, though, remind me that I don't have to.

4 comments:

  1. Your slice opens the door for your reader on what a remarkable afternoon it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - I should have walked through my door earlier! I'm so glad you and your youngest got to spend some time together in this perfect afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left so late on Thursday I missed the glorious, mood lifting weather. So glad you found time to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vivid imagery in this post is striking!

    ReplyDelete