Monday, March 4, 2019

Take My Dog to Work Day

According to Psychology Today, "Dogs can provide support and a sense of calm for our daily emotional and psychological stresses." This is not to say that teaching grammar to eighth graders isn't fun, but today when I featured my own, Alice Thundercracker, in my lesson on sentence structure, I enjoyed a sense of calm.

She was there when I reviewed the simple sentence: I have a golden retriever. 

A photo of her smiling face greeted me between Google slides as if to say, "We may be apart, but I'm thinking of you, too."

With a slight dopamine hit, I reminded students of compound subjects: Alice and I run on the trail. Oh, the countless miles we've shared over the years, side-by-side.

Zipping along, I wowed the class with a new one: She stops and sniffs flowers whenever she can. That's right, kiddos, watch out for compound predicates too.

The whole class was grooving by now--they were ready for the next phase: Sometimes Alice is a criminal, so we can never leave food out. 

Shock and horror! Still, the kids weren't yet masters of compound sentences, so I went on: My son’s sandwiches are not safe, and I must hide everyone’s socks. She's very cute, people, but did I ever say she was perfect?

The plot thickened with news of her thievery, but I ended the lesson with truth: Although Alice is sneaky, I love her a lot. Sure, it's a complex sentence, but the love I feel for my dog is uncomplicated.

I went home later and took her on an extra good walk. That's a good girl, I said.

4 comments:

  1. Weaving your dog’s life into your grammar lesson is ingenious! Engaging and effective. In fact, I can’t wait to read more! Are you sure there aren’t more sentence types you need to teach me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs and grammar? This is a mighty blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And she was probably thinking about socks and sandwiches at home, unaware of her blossoming star status.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to engage middle school students, throw in a cute dog or an angsty love story and they are hooked. Love that you went with your pup.

    ReplyDelete