However uncool this novella is at first glance, I can't for the life of me it drop it. This is a timeless tale, I insist, a reminder that manipulation of language and corruption is not only found in history books.
Okay, there's no way around it, Animal Farm is dark.
After the lies, slaughter by dogs, forced confessions, and poor Boxer's demise at the glue factory, Orwell leaves us with the image of power hungry, card playing pigs who appear to be men and men who appear to be pigs. The animals, once so hopeful of a utopian life, look on in defeat. This year, rather than finish and say, "Corruption just sucks," I wanted students to say, "Now what?"
Even before reading Chapter 1, the kids list the best qualities of a leader: hard worker, listener, clear communicator, caring, honest, and smart. By Chapter 10, it was obvious Napoleon didn't meet most of their criteria. Then who does? So I asked students to search for leadership potential in unexpected places.
Small groups supported Boxer, Benjamin, Clover, Snowball, or Muriel. All victims of a totalitarian regime, but each with his or her own gifts. "Use your powers of persuasion for good!" I said.
And they did. Our in-class political campaign was a display of evidence that proved the goodness of every candidate. Their counter-arguments acknowledged that no one is perfect, yet they can and will overcome weakness to do the right thing for animals everywhere. Some groups rapped or sang; all spoke emphatically about the unsung talents of heroes.
Boxer won't relent from hard work, and he'll stay true to the mission.
Benjamin may be cynical, but his critical eyes see through to the truth.
Clover's nurturing compassion brings everyone together.
Snowball has big plans, and he's an open book others may read.
Muriel. Wait, who's Muriel? Well she can read, a real plus on the farm, and lends a hoof when others don't. Plus, as her team pointed out, "She's the G.O.A.T.!"
I'm about to reshelve those musty copies of Orwell's classic. While it's not the "greatest of all time" for everyone, I believe those barnyard animals earned a few more fans this time around.
Such sound analysis... I'd like to know what your students think of the current candidates running for President!
ReplyDeleteA clever assignment and the way Muriel's supports describe her made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteYou have my attention. Sounds writing. This book challenges our beliefs and questions our morals.
ReplyDeleteLove that you breathe life into those musty, yellowed pages each year. Should we purchase some shiny new copies, or would that ruin the aged wisdom effect? Thank you for sharing your classroom with us.
ReplyDeleteAnything you present Leah would soon lose its musty smell and take on new life. Your allusion to the Kardashians made me laugh. If anyone can make animal fun, you can. And, it is timeless and worthwhile.
ReplyDeleteYou, my friend, are keeping democracy alive for the rest of us! It's Beth, btw :-)
ReplyDeleteAs teachers go, I’d say you sound mighty goatlike yourself! What a dynamic idea to use such negative cast of characters as a springboard for seeing good!
ReplyDelete