Today in a Socratic Seminar, I learned that the social media app is throwing some sudsy water on its tarnished image. They've been dealing with bad press and congressional hearings, not to mention the Kim/Kanye debacle. Their solution is a gentle prompt with some alternative activities--my favorite, of course, includes writing. :)
"Haha, no way. Ignore. Every time."
After some solid research, students are brainstorming viable solutions to modern-day problems: the effects of technology on mental health, censorship of books, misinformation, rise in hate crimes, the list goes on. I'm comforted by their compassion and genuine connections to the topics--just as it compels me to comfort them for living in this messed up world.
Before today, though, most of them didn't know the meaning of "top-down" decisions. I explained, "We rely on leaders to write policies that protect our well-being. At the same time, the same leaders are obliged to respond to our signals." (Yes, I'm an optimist.)
As for Instagram, this new setting isn't likely to sprout grass in my students' budding social movement. Frankly, its tone is reminiscent of their parents, or *gag*, their teachers.
Come on, IG, don't tell us what to do. It's on us to decide when enough is enough.
Thank you for this interesting question to our youth - "Does it work?" - I cannot imagine that it will; I feel like you that "its tone is reminiscent of their parents"...this 'fix' by Instagram is hardly that! But, with teachers and parents continuing to ask thought-provoking questions, there may be hope!
ReplyDeleteThis really does sound like a thought-provoking, Socratic Seminar talking, deep-diving kind of English class!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you found your niche in HS. I totally agree with Mary.
ReplyDelete