Monday, March 7, 2022

"Do teens like to argue?"

"Do teens like to argue?" I dropped the question in the Google machine, yielding over 20 million results in .47 seconds. In contrast, the phrase "Are teens agreeable?" delivered a measly 9 million hits, causing the search engine to labor .06 seconds longer. I rest my case.

This internet fact is what I'm relying on in the next couple of days when my classes take a seat at the Round Table to set Farhenheit 451's world alongside our own. Like King Arthur, my end goal is for students to fight for the safety of Camelot. Unlike the Big A, I'm hoping the knights care enough to quarrel. 

They're coming together to talk about Bradbury: 

Was he right? 
If so, how much? 
Enough for us to do something about it? 
If so, what?  
 
They can draw their swords against Ray, the world, or both. (Pretty please, don't choose none of the above.) By sharing their research and rehashing first-hand experience, I'm rooting for them to confirm what Google told me today. And I could sure use some evidence to back up my claim:

Teens like to argue. 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like it could be a great discussion! I hope they argue to their heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun assignment. I hope you'll report back in a future slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also teaching 451 right now so I had to read this post.
    I hope your students enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The King Arthur and the knights of the round table is the perfect metaphor for your (Socrative Seminar??)debate. However, if Ray were with us, he might remind you that the pen is mightier than the sword!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea for a conclusion, Ms. Juengst! Thanks--peer readers for the win.

      Delete