Friday, March 4, 2022

Do you think books are like birds?

Do you think books are like birds? Bradbury talks about birds in some fashion approximately 10 times in Fahrenheit 451. 

He describes pigeons and doves flapping their snowy white feathers. Children delight in birds and butterflies in the backyard. Books are also set ablaze to roast, pigeon-winged, and dying on the porch. After several bombs fall on the distant city, Montag and his new friends recall the mythical phoenix. A symbol of hope that with rupture, there is hope for repair. 

When we finished the last chapter about a week ago, I wished the rest of my books were birds. I wished for my favorite titles to fly off of the shelves into willing hands. And I suspect Bradbury cared less about students reading his books than he did about students reading many books. 

What's the opposite of burning books? As students dig into a research project--more on that later--they're exercising their freedom to read. 

We can read anything?
Yes

Does it have to connect to a certain theme?
Nope

Should we take notes on it?
Please, don't.

What should we do when we finish?
Read another one. :)

The books on my shelves that sat huddled like birds on a wire have taken flight. We're reading and talking, exchanging recommendations, and reacting. Some books are slow-roasting on the spit. Many others have the spirit of a sparrow. 

Thanks, Ray.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing line: "What's the opposite of burning books?"

    Spirit of the sparrow, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image of the huddled books of on your shelves taking flight, as they were meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this analogy of books as birds taking flight as an answer to “What’s the opposite of burning books?”

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And I suspect Bradbury cared less about students reading his books than he did about students reading many books."
    Bradbury is cheering you on! I see you as a snowy owl.

    ReplyDelete