Thursday, March 17, 2022

Dear Sophomores

Dear Sophomores, 

A poet came to visit. I have no doubt that you remember because his voice shook the walls of our trailer classroom. Supersonic stanzas pushed us back in our seats. The floor could have buckled from the weight of his wisdom, which he won by telling his truths. 

Then, he leaned forward and asked, What's your story? Who needs to hear it?

Sometimes assignments are simple, but this is not one of those times. It's a big ask, this Best Life project. Whatever the product--be it poems, PSA, speech, or song--convince your audience that the challenges of this modern life can be overcome. I see you looking for the answer key; there isn't one. Instead, the answers are yours to give.

Some say sophomores are wise fools. When I was your age, I was a couple years short of wise. I didn't have the Kardashians or Tik Tok to excuse my foolishness. In my 10th-grade year, I could juggle tormented relationships, broken trust, and academic accidents with one hand. My "best life" was not a prospect I could picture. However, the doodles in my margins began to take up the space they were due. I found my voice on the stage even when my inner voice whispered doubts. And some days--not all--instead of choosing the back of the class, I sat in the front.

Joseph said, "I'm speaking to those who can use these ideas for their project. I'm also speaking to those who will better understand this ten years down the road." 

Either way, I’ll be here to help you try.

Yours,

Ms. Teacher Town

2 comments:

  1. Oh my... what a beautiful moment. I so feel this way when I talk with my sophomores. We just keep saying it and keep waiting and watching for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are living your best teaching life these days, too!

    ReplyDelete