Growing up in the Washington area, I used to wish that I lived in a small town. I thought that the people were cold, and the nice ones always moved away anyway. I wanted a quaint country home on a long winding road with cows on the hill. I wanted to walk down Main Street and recognize everyone who passed by. Well, my husband and I didn't settle in the country, as we thought we would when we were first married. We didn't get a long winding road or cows, but we did find our small town even it's only a mile or so from my childhood home.
My boys and I walked down to the neighborhood library today. I picked up some baby name books and made myself comfortable at a table by the door. It seemed that everyone who walked in was a friend--some I see regularly, others that I've missed over the last few months because the winter weather kept us all inside. It was the hot spot in town, apparently, and after a few chats at the table, I felt lucky for the chance to catch up with them.
Next, we stopped at the market for some bread and a few other items, but with my items all rung up and in bags, I realized that I left my wallet on the counter at home. I didn't have my $9.23 to pay the man, but he was unfazed. "Don't worry. Here, I'll give you the receipt. You come back with the money when you can." So we went home, ate our sandwiches, and dropped off some cash a little later.
No, we don't live in Mayberry. It just feels like we do sometimes.
I love your last two lines...it brings me back to the old black and white shows that I used to watch with my grandparents.
ReplyDeleteI love that small town feeling!
Your writing helps me recall the small town I once lived in. I miss it. Becky E
ReplyDeleteWow - I love your post about your small town! Lovely!
ReplyDelete