I imagine that some people out there plan ahead to make up for the entire hour we lost this weekend. Those individuals must be responsible and practical people who get their kids bathed and dinner on the table early. They slide the movie that was chosen in advance into the machine with plenty of time to spare before they're scheduled to snuggle into their beds for the night, clocks adjusted and alarms set to avoid any confusion the following morning. Although that evening sounds completely delightful, we are not those people.
Even "with child", a perfect excuse to bundle in with a "no thank you" on a rainy night, I accepted an invitation for a late night dinner out. My husband's work takes him to great restaurants in the area; it also requires him to host winemakers as they get to know their customers and introduce new vintages. Occasionally, but not always, I take advantage of his employment perks, so even with a 9:30 reservation (before the time change), I willingly sat at a table for twelve, one of whom was one of our favorite vintners from Oregon, and enjoyed the company. Among other tasty treats, I feasted on a delicious seared scallop dish, caramelized in a way that will go down in the memory books, and most tables were cleared when we made our way to the door to say good-bye.
We lived in the moment without regard to rest. While I envy those who managed to sleep and feel refreshed this Sunday afternoon, like many things my rational side approaches with hesitation, I'm glad I said yes.
I'm thinking... How could you NOT go? Seems seared scallops, good wine, and good company trump an hour of sleep.
ReplyDelete