Sunday, March 1, 2026

Protein: It's Paramount

Surely, you've noticed. Protein is the priority. Honestly, it's about time. 

Growing up, when my mom pushed protein, I found it a little annoying, as any teen would. I cast it off as mundane as the bar of soap by the sink, but that's because she didn't have the support of every marketing team known to man, like protein has now. 

A veritable protein-a-palooza is happening along every grocery store aisle; i.e., it's fortifying everything, from popcorn to frozen pizza. The windows of the Dunkin' Donuts boast PROTEIN in big, bold letters. With the fervor of a Duolingo notification, reminders to eat protein are impossible to ignore. In your quest to consume 100 bajillion grams of recommended protein per day, crack a soda. Feisty brand beverages boast more protein than a scrambled egg. 

Speaking of scrambled eggs--that's how Sunday started, the first of a 31-slice challenge. More curated grams accrued in the meals that followed. 

A slice of life can serve as a record of what occupies our minds and hearts on any given day. On March 1, 2026, it is protein–– among other things, of course. With that primary goal squared away, though, I'm free to focus my well-nourished energies elsewhere in the 30 days that will follow. 

P.S. Mom, thanks for your patience. You told me so.

3 comments:

  1. I love your tongue in cheek writing about "protein." It certainly is a marketing term. But not all protein is equal. Right? I chuckled as I read your line "All the aisles of the grocery store are a protein-a-palloza." They say that eating protein with high-sugar / carbohydrates food is a good strategy to manage blood sugar levels. Maybe that's the thinking behind Dunkin' Donuts. Who knows for sure??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This slice has it all-- magnificent macro management and some satisfying writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - Glad to see your voice and thoughts on the SOL this year. Moms have so much patience, don't they?

    ReplyDelete