Saturday, March 21, 2026

Mind-Body Disconnection

I lost my car in a parking lot today. Says something my ability to be in two places at once. When I found a spot, my hands knowingly turned the wheel toward the empty space, and my two feet walked one step after another away from my car right after I took precautions to lock the front door. It was an interesting amount of intention from a body so separated from the mind. In one ear, I was listening to an audiobook, while the rest of my brain cycled through topics of the day, from the essays I was grading this morning to the outfit I might wear later, plus, the subtext of a conversation I had yesterday and the plans I was making for tomorrow. 

Google Maps didn’t know one garage floor from another, so I had to rely on Saint Anthony to steer me towards my black compact SUV, only one of a thousand that stared at me blankly as I paced up and down the aisles, my key fob eliciting no response. 

Of course, it was the last place I looked when my break lights finally blinked back. Pulling away towards home, I put my foot on the gas. Tires to the road; head in the clouds, all over again.

2 comments:

  1. Makes you wonder if multitasking is a gift or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Body’s on cruise control while the mind is on vacation. This is such a relatable moment!

    ReplyDelete