Sunday, March 8, 2020

Rule #1

I am a big hand washer. Not so much that I risk scrubbing my hands raw, but I do practice the standard soap-up quite willingly at the traditional times. A trip to the restroom, of course. Before preparing and/or eating a meal, yep. After reaching into the desks between classes to scoop out papers and the occasional god-knows-what, absolutely and doubly good, thank you.

We're all teachers. Best practices, am I right?

As news of the Covid-19 outbreak dominates the airwaves, the value of this good habit has spiked while the stock market has plunged. Like many people, I didn't let the coronavirus interfere with my trip about Teacher Town this weekend, but it did follow me around. I opened doors with my bare hands, and then took receipts, handled produce, shook some hands, hugged family and friends. Before and after, I washed my hands. A lot. 

God help me when it comes to touching my face.

8 comments:

  1. You are spot on with best practices being universal precautions. What is your song of choice when hand washing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about universal precautions, but as the coronavirus had moved into my county recently, I am a little freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, and I’m sorry to hear it’s close to home for you. Sending best wishes for good health and spirit.

      Delete
  3. All you can do is what you can do, right? Washing hands is a solid strategy. I reinforced this with my students, too. Keeping my clean fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same. I think I have actually gotten worse about the face thing. ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with Pam. never have I wanted or needed to touch my face so much. I feel like life's on hold while we deal with the virus in Seattle. It's eerie to see less traffic, and events being canceled right and left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah - your post struck a chord. I think that we are just getting started. I wash to Les Mis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I’ve added wiping down desks after students leave to my hand washing regimen. I love the way you explore an idea with vivid examples and questions.

    ReplyDelete