Sunday, March 15, 2020

Keep in Touch

Day 2 of social distancing and I've decided this is my second and final slice that will begin this way. Long days stretch out ahead and the pace is slow; I will be craving originality shortly.

My fingers tapped on the keyboard all morning as I set out initial plans for my students. "Are you out there?" I wanted to ask. But I decided it was too soon to pop my virtual teacher voice into their homes unless they went looking. Families all around are still adjusting to the definition of Covid-19 closing. Learning, listening, wondering, and of course, disinfecting. I posted my plan and closed my laptop.

Ping! An email came in from a student who'd been out sick before the closing (not to worry, he's well now.) He was ready to catch up, for today was Day 5 in his tiny section of the world. We exchanged a couple of messages, and he was on his way, zipping through a couple of tasks so fast, I had to admire his spirit.

And if I'm craving originality today, I can guess a lot of students are too. Whatever I post next, I aim to keep it fresh.

6 comments:

  1. I hear you! I spent today working on my assignments that will go out tomorrow for the first time. I am trying to distance myself as much as possible from the news. I want to be informed but not overwhelmed. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope more of our students are craving connection, like this one of yours. I'm worried about those who will not engage, despite the availability. Hmmm. I'll work on keeping it fresh too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting how some of us our nervous about the online learning but some students are very ready. Bravo to your ever ready student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our district decided that we won't post work for students until Wed (they're off starting tomorrow though), to give them a few days to adjust. I like that, but I'm also itching to reconnect with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard not to write about what's happening isn't it? I suppose as the days pass this will just be the new normal and we'll be thinking and writing about other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This- "Learning, listening, wondering, and of course, disinfecting." I don't think these verbs will go out of style these upcoming days. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete