My roots of optimism, these days, come from my students. Sure, some grumbled at this year's oratorical contest prompt. But after a few doses of daily cheer and some awesome video examples, the vast majority have brought a hopeful spirit, a can-do attitude, an openness to the ideas that spring from their every day. "What does the Slice of Life challenge have to do with your speeches?" I've asked them more than once. How will we draw in our audience? Let's paint a picture, let's build trust, let's make a connection. And the worry that I'll have to read the same speech 100 times? Nope, the topics are as varied as they are. Here are just ten examples:
Their roots of optimism are from...
- The belief that everything happens for a reason
- The name my parents gave me
- Women who have stood up for themselves
- The menu at Taco Bell
- Realism
- The colors of a revolution
- Optimistic nihilism and the drumline
- My childhood books, my complacent cat, and my mom and dad
- One small single-handed dinghy
- Water
P.S. I 💗 teaching English.
"But after a few doses of daily cheer and some awesome video examples, the vast majority have brought a hopeful spirit, a can-do attitude, an openness to the ideas that spring from their every day" Your spirit is the driving force behind this result!
ReplyDeleteLove the varied topics they have selected! I agree with the responder above...your spirit is the optimistic force supporting students.
ReplyDelete