Saturday, March 17, 2018

If I Could, I Would

If I could harness the power of the wizarding world today, I would apparate. Phone calls to my siblings are simply not enough. 

My brother and I connect as he sits in his car, live-parked and waiting for his wife. His backseat is packed with hand-me-down planters with little trees and shrubs for his Brooklyn patio. "You know how much I love plants?" he asks sincerely. Yes, I do know. We exchange stories from 1969 in Austin, the year he was born but before I was, that are only vivid to us both because we have the same parents who told them. We make plans for the summer fun and count the days, then send hugs to our children and spouses, which we both know are not nearly as nice as the real thing.

My sister is across the Atlantic, and the cooing I hear is coming from a rosy-cheeked niece I have yet to meet in person. Then her oldest and my youngest monopolize the phone to describe their toys and schools. Finally, we steal some minutes for travel plans before her middle daughter who is showing off perfect enunciation of, "Hi, Leah!" This little one and I are bonded by birth order, so her personal greeting is a gift. When we are together, we make matching snack plates for our kids and sometimes finish conversations. For now, we can only mark our calendars, plan, and count the days.

If I could apparate or reach into my supply of floo powder, I certainly would today. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for teaching me a new word today! I too would like to "apparate" to visit my sister and best friend on a regular basis. I enjoyed the way your words transported you, even if simply through the telephone. Good luck with your travels. How sweet they will be. Thank you for sharing this slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that this is the first time I have ever heard the word "apparate". Can people apparate back into time? I would like to see my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Slice. The mix of longing for connections with family and fantasy are beautiful. We often talk in our house about the parts of the wizarding world we wish were available to us Muggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, apparating is the way to go. I think floo powder is a little risky but if it meant I could see my son and daughter in law across the continent more often, I'd do it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete