Saturday, March 24, 2018

Heroic Voices

Every year that I coach students for an oratorical contest, I go on a search for examples. This year, there are more stellar exemplars than I can count. Just today, Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg of Parkland, Mya Middleton of Chicago, and Naomi Wadler of Alexandria--just 11-years-old--plus countless others, they are changing the world by speaking out. As I watch in absolute awe of their poise at the podium and their choice of words to move minds, my heart only aches more and more. What an inspiration, I think, but what an absolute disaster.

6 comments:

  1. I am amazed at and proud of the kids who are speaking up! But it’s so sad that they have to. ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s like the Oratorical and Dystopian units merged... my take away soundbites from watching the videos... Emma’s “6 minutes 20 seconds” and Naomi’s “we know that we have 7 short years when we too have the right to vote.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their speeches are like the slap in the face we need to snap us out inaction. Great post.

    ReplyDelete