Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Lights Out

We did not lose power when wind threatened to blow our house down last Friday. The howling alone might have sent more safety-conscious folk to take cover in our bomb shelter of a basement, but I embraced the energy of the storm and powered through work as if time was running out. I graded, posted, cooked, and cleaned like the wind.

Tonight, it is raining. I can hear a steady drip, drip, drip, drip like a metronome setting the tempo of a rather downbeat song. Yet it is tonight, this drab, late winter night that we lost have lost power. No drama, just very, very dark.

I was out when it happened, and my middle was holding down the fort when he sent word, my husband also out at a separate event. Still, I did not return to chaos. The energy outside matched the energy indoors. Candles lit my path from the kitchen to the upstairs. The living room glowed with a spinning German carousel fueled by heat that I didn’t have the heart to put away after the holidays. I’m so glad I didn’t. My youngest was already snuggled in pjs, holding a flashlight with his chin to see his book. Now I get to write by the warmth of a single flame.

I don’t know yet why we lost power this night and not the other, but as the drip, drip, drip sets a hypnotic rhythm, I’ll take the universe’s cue, blow out the candles, and head to bed.

4 comments:

  1. The dark and the candles and the howling wind and hypnotic drip-- I hope you stay snug and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful closing line. It read in my mind like a smooth rap. Thank you for this creative slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I love the visuals - candles lighting your path, the German carousel, etc. The rhythm, as well - repeated is soothing. I'm wishing my power had gone out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this line: "I can hear a steady drip, drip, drip, drip like a metronome setting the tempo of a rather downbeat song."
    Your lovely post makes me want to turn out the electric lights and power the night with candles more often.

    ReplyDelete