Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Waldorf World

The walls were painted with the colors of a sunrise, and the lobby smelled like dinner was on the stove. We visited my dear cousin and her children at the Waldorf School of Cape Cod and entered into a land where children stood finger-knitting strands of a colorful web that stretched across corners on a long hallway during their after school program. The wood-working room was in mid-project glory with hand-carved spoons and shallow pencil trays on display. It was almost time for Art Night, so main lesson books were open to carefully sketched gods and goddesses, planets around the sun, and heroes like Harriet Tubman. 

We were welcomed into the Children's Garden room where my cousin is the teacher and her son is a student. Rosy curtains filtered the late afternoon sun, and our boys built a tower out of smooths trunks of a tree. They wore "heavy kitty" on their shoulders and made savory burritos of one another in an extra large cloth. Her bright-eyed baby girl showed off her walking and talking skills, following close behind. We drank ginger tea, ate popcorn, and remembered that the world is small when her familiar faces turned out to be familiar faces of mine. And if the world has pockets of education heaven like this, I'm happy to be a part of it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this reminder of a very special kind of education. At one time, I considered pursuing a credential in Waldorf education. In my heart of hearts, I believe so many of the principles practiced there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of close friends who are all in with the Waldorf model. Their kids LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete