My calendar is a multi-eyed monster. In Ancient Greece, Argus Panoptes had one hundred eyes all over his head and body, an ever-watchful and never-sleeping figure, much like my task list. I need this beast, even as I try mightily to avert my gaze. His stares persist, and I check off each item, one by one. There is satisfaction to calming the monster to the point of soft breaths and weighted lids, and I comply most days. Yet, there are times when its every eye is wide open, and I quiver at the sheer number before me.
I quiver, that is, until I remember that I am Hermes, and I hold the sword. I am the maker of my calendar--my calendar doesn't make me. Shouldn't my students and I be the ones breathing easily? Oxygen and space do wonders for the mind, I've found.
Argus versus me--it's an ongoing battle that I am sure to fight again and again. I just have to remember, those googly eyes are much prettier on a peacock.
LOVE THIS! Great imagery and truer words were never spoken- we are the masters of our fate...and time. I applaud your coupe over the beast!
ReplyDeleteSome days I am the master of my calendar . . . but not always! This was GREAT . . ."those googly eyes look a hell of a lot better on a peacock."
ReplyDeleteOh how I love this! So entertaining and creative. Great slice!
ReplyDelete