My family and I headed out for my choice of birthday fun on the National Mall yesterday. We were h almost to the National Gallery, not that my six-year-old was aware of our plan. Yet he exclaimed, "That building is a work of art!" as we walked past the Museum of the American Indian Museum. He's right--the facade looks like sand art crafted by the wind with ripples and ridges one might see in the Arizona desert.
Next, we let the beauty of sculpture and painting wash over us in the East Building. It's been a long time since I've put paint on canvas, so I was totally enamored with the power abstract artists wielded with either broad strokes of color or gray-scale, a-symmetry or perfect balance, chunky textures or simple lines.
Our last stop was an iMax movie at the Natural History Museum, a change of pace, or so I thought at first. Of course, I was proven wrong. We watched footage that displayed beauty in all corners of the country, including the Redwood Forest, Arches, and Glacier Bay that boasted blasts of color, bold shapes, and complex textures.
As a result of this one outing, I set some new life goals: see the world, create more, and appreciate the works of art that are already here, just waiting to be noticed.
Sometimes it's easy to forget how lucky we are to live in such a world-class town. I'm inspired by your inspiration!
ReplyDelete