Friday, March 3, 2017

Book Over Blog

A book is beating my blog today. I'm a new addition to a long-established book club that meets tonight, and I have a deep, but I suspect, unwarranted, desire to be prepared for our discussion. Our first title was Hillbilly Elegy, a book I'd already read when I was invited, so no pressure. This time, we're set to read The Body in the Library by Agathie Christie. These days, I feel like writing books like hers off as unprogressive, white accounts of life. As my oldest would say, "Pretty bougie." Yet it was chosen by a member who was raised in Morocco. "These books taught me lessons about white culture for a long time," she said. In the age of #WeNeedDiverseBooks, I appreciated her point of view.

I'm only a quarter finished at noon Still, I march forward with my earbuds in all afternoon after parent-teacher conferences. I have seven hours before we meet, and I'm listening to the audiobook at 1.5 speed. A bit fast, but when multi-tasking involves my dog on one end of the leash and my iPhone with an audiobook on the other, I can make a lot of progress for both parties involved. With a clear goal in sight, I won't fit in a good Slice of Life post, but I will know the answer to this mystery, by god. Of that, I can be absolutely sure.

1 comment:

  1. Your friend from Morocco offers an interesting counterpoint to Chimamanda Ngozi's TED Talk. (Was it Professor Plum with the knife who left the body in the library?)

    ReplyDelete