Two hours is a long time to have one's emotions collect and concentrate at the top of one's throat. He proved that he's a good driver, calm and focused. He made smooth lane changes, maintained a steady speed, and he pumped the gas, an added perk to the trip. It was just that one moment when the highway split and one audibly fast driver cut us off at the tail, swerving right by us in what seemed like a near miss that made us both gulp for air as we watched him disappear ahead.
My son is growing fast into adulthood, and I'm proud to see him driving with two hands on the wheel. Then I consider the instances when best efforts don't matter, and I'm back to gripping the door handle and my knuckles shine white.
Wow! I don't know how well I would handle such an experience. I still remember the first time I drove on 95- from Bel Air to Washington, DC. My mom wasn't with me- I guess she couldn't stomach that experience.
ReplyDeleteSuch a meditation on control! Safe travels on your way home.
ReplyDeleteWow - that is huge. Your description of emotions collected and concentrated at the top of your throat is great - very apt.
ReplyDelete