Friday, March 6, 2015

Flipped Classroom

Winter weather has kept us home, and because I have a screw lose, I've kept in touch with a lot of my students over the last 48-hours. I know, I'm awful. The last cancellation already resulted moving a deadline. When the weather called for a 100% chance, I was the mean teacher to say, "Come on, kiddos, stay focused." What was I thinking?

Google Drive is both marvelous and malevolent. I've had the good fortune to interact with writers, sometimes in real time, in a way that I don't often have the luxury to do in an actual classroom. I've also had the unfortunate experience of watching a student suffer with writer's block, his cursor blinking blankly at me when I've checked in on his draft. I get it. I've been there. But the very same student was spotted on another draft, leaving a string of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs in a very unsupportive manner. He stopped once he saw my bright initial pop up in the upper right corner of the screen. And then I logged out.

It was time for me to attend to matters on the other side of the screen--matters that include negotiating the number of marshmallows my kids get in their hot chocolate and folding the seventh load of laundry that was calling my name. Isn't technology grand?

3 comments:

  1. Let's not go all "The Fun They Had" on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Google Drive is both marvelous and malevolent." Yes. Yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard the maintain your balance with technology at your fingertips, all of the time. Love this example.

    ReplyDelete