Thursday, March 15, 2012

Whachya got there?

We're about half-way through this month's writing challenge, and I can already say I'm a believer. For those of my students who have taken on the daily (or almost daily) challenge, it's clear that the regular practice of writing is as nourishing as brown rice, as spicy as a taco, and as sweet as a mango. I'm getting to know those students on a level I wasn't able to reach before. They seem to appreciate the replies I post, but it also gives us more to talk about in person. For all of this, I can thank my good friend who walks her dog.

Meanwhile, with sixteen days left to go, I see some lag in the writing ideas department, and I'm also keeping an eye on the kids who are about to fall behind on the required 10 slices for the month. I can relate to any sort of writing lethargy that occurs. Each minute of the day is packed full of tasks I "have" to do, and when I finally get a chance to write...I got nuthin'. In an effort to inspire my students, I created a Wordle, not unlike the graphic Two Writing Teachers posted to inspire us that included words like, "dreams, captured conversations, shoes, etc." I posted it in the "pocket" of our on-line writing community.

To introduce it, I asked the kids, "Do you ever find stuff in your pocket?" My items certainly represent my life: paper clips, pony-tail holders, hall passes, and Lego body parts. Their replies ranged from the ordinary to the bizarre (this is sixth grade, after all): lint, pennies, crumbled dollar bills that had already gone through the wash, their uncle's credit card, and a half-eaten sandwich. And as they happily shared their own pocket discoveries, I was reminded that these kiddos barely need my help. They are carrying their ideas around with them all the time.

1 comment:

  1. My students were rooting around in the pocket today and were quite taken by the wordle. Cool idea!

    ReplyDelete