Monday, March 5, 2012

Envy Me and on the Flip Side: The Cinammon Challenge

Perhaps I'm persevorating on parent-teacher conferences, but I have one more anecdote to share involving a mother who meant well when she said, "I don't envy you..." in regards to the days I spend with middle school children.

"Oh, but you should--we're having so much fun," was my reply. "This job is definitely enviable."

And then there is the moment when I realize what kids are doing with cinnamon for entertainment. Of course, I turned to my oldest son for the story.

"What do you know about the Cinnamon Challenge?"

"It's where you eat a spoonful of cinnamon."

"You eat it?"

"No, I've never tried it, but yup, it's all over Youtube. You stuff a bunch of cinnamon in your mouth and look like fool. Every Youtube idiot has done it."

Fortunately, I don't need to troll Youtube for golden nuggets like that. I just need the Slice of Life Challenge, where I learn that this is what some of my sixth graders are doing out in front of the school for fun. So there's THAT aspect of teaching adolescents. And yes, I still think the world should envy me.

4 comments:

  1. I like your response to the mother. I haven't seen any cinnamon tasters but thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I love middle school. I think it's an enviable job, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love middle schoolers too. Why cinnamon? They definitely do some strange stuff - but that is one of the things that makes them loveable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught 7th graders for 22 year--now retired. I never looked for a job with them; they just always found me, and I never left. As I aged, we were kind of on the same level. I got forgetful; they were forgetful. I can be zany at times, and they are zany most of the time. I empathize with the underdog; middle schoolers are in that position for 3 years!!! I go back and visit alot. They are very friendly creature--sometimes. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete