Within the first few minutes of first mod today, I was expounding on something terrifically important, of course, when I heard a scuffle, some mumbling, a rumble of something to my left. I could have sworn one of my students whispered to himself as he craned his neck toward the ground, but I chose to ignore if in favor of the brilliance I had to share before groups began working on their projects. The distraction persisted.
"Can I help you?" I asked, turning to the one whose body was nearly curling itself under the desk.
"It's a millipede." He replied.
With that profound declaration, the class was thrilled to have something so special join our classroom. A few jumped from their seats to get a good look. Others turned to each other to share bug stories. I bent down to get a good look. I like bugs, and their presence was not a nuisance. He could have stayed as long as he liked, if it were up to me, but when several shouted their solution, "Squish him!" and "Step on it!" I intervened with a tissue, gently lifted him from the floor, and escorted him to the shrubs in front of the school.
At least two students posted about the incident for today's Slice of Life, so I appreciate this chance to offer my own perspective on the story.
That's pretty much how I imagined it!
ReplyDelete