Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Anything else?

Two of my sons and I sat in the office of a homeopathic doctor today. It's allergy season, which is a good time for a constitutional remedy, but for anyone who's familiar with this approach to medicine, it never results in a quick prescription for Zyrtec. It means we answer a lot of questions, and not many of them have to do with runny noses or itchy eyes.

I try to be an observant mother, and I do my best to offer any insights I have into my boys when I'm sitting there in her office. At what time of day is he at his best? Does he prefer hot or cold? Is he thirsty? Still, whenever I feel I've offered the most precise details, she allows a beat or two of silence and follows with one more question, "Anything else?"

The funny part is that I usually say, "No, I think that's it." Again, she allows some silence to fall between us as she records more notes or refers to a book. And then I remember to mention one more thing.

"Anything else?" She asks again, until I'm sure there's nothing else. As if that is ever the case.

4 comments:

  1. I wish everyone asked that question and waited expectantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for doctors that let us think for a minute - there's always something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started back with allergy shots after nearly two decades away from them. Allergies stink (that's me being polite about it).

    Glad you have a doctor who gives you the wait time you need. She's a gem.

    ReplyDelete