The best news of the day is that my own son, a sixth grader, is one of the 250. This kid of mine, famous for his, "School--just a place where they tell you what to do," proclamation, has always been reticent about organized events. Still, he signed up without an ounce of pressure from me, and it sure looked like he was having a good time, even as we ran teeth-chattering drills on the field. And even when he dropped to give us 20.
Monday, March 24, 2014
On the right track
It was the first day of this season's track practice, my second year as assistant coach. I wasn't much of a runner when I was growing up, but since about 1999, running has been one of my favorite pastimes, so when almost 200 kids signed up for team last year, I said, "Sure, I'll give this gig a try." This year, our team count is 250! Just like a second year of teaching, I know more about how I want to guide them. I watch the group made of Speedy Gonzalez, Slow Tortoise, and a whole lot in the middle, and I aim to maintain a careful balance of advice and encouragement. That said, with a big group like this, I'm not afraid to order up some push-ups if they're not listening to the coach. Funny, they usually laugh through this punishment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha! Loved the ending line!
ReplyDeleteSounds like both you and your son made the perfect choice!
It must be challenging to coach 250 individuals! What a wonderful ride for you and your son!
ReplyDelete