Friday, March 7, 2014

Utopia

We live in the present moment and our expectations are not tangled with regrets from the past or expectations for the future. That's not to say our people don't learn from mistakes, nor should one assume that we don't look forward with joyful anticipation for what lies ahead. We are a thoughtful group that appreciates and learns from each other. When we have reason to celebrate, we do. When we have run out of steam, we acknowledge our current state and give respect to fatigue and the need for rest. We don't look to one another for validation because we are accepting of whatever factors influence our state of mind. We are responsible for our own actions and understanding of the potential impact we have on one another.

"I'm sorry I didn't do my homework," said a newcomer to this world.
"No apology is necessary here. What were you doing instead?"
"My friends blew me off. I got a mean text. I couldn't concentrate, so I watched my favorite shows instead."
"How do you feel now?"
"Annoyed because now I have twice as much to do."
"How are things going with your friends?"
"Better. We sorted it out."
"What will you do next?"
"I'll catch up."
"There's nothing like a fresh start. Trust that you'll feel better when you're past this."
"What about you? You'll have a bunch of late work to grade. Aren't you mad?"
"Stacks of work do get me down, but that's the nature of my job. I'll get through it, just like you will. And I'll appreciate your patience I take time to get it all done."

What is in store for this society's future? Does this world fall to ruins where the pace of life slows and the population turns soft, lazy, apathetic. Or is true balance achieved as this united sense of tolerance allows equal portions of achievement and error?

2 comments:

  1. Definitely the second one, Softy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...if I could be that patient teacher responding like that...

    ReplyDelete