In our living room, he’d stand on a stool to call hello to John out the window. John drove a Gator truck—a mini-utility vehicle that hauled trash out of Glenayr every day. He also paid celebrity visits when the sink clogged and the smoke detector beeped. Imagine the awe of a toddler when someone with a tool belt walks through the door.
Another big source of entertainment was our stereo system. Our busy kid held himself up alongside the sideboard, and with a pincer grasp that would make any mother proud, he’d pull the tape from cassette tapes until they made a marvelous mountain of unplayable music. It was the same pencil we’d use to wind any lost tunes back up, we used to turn on our second-hand TV.
In April of the second year, I answered a call in our kitchen. By then, we were settled in, and I had painted the walls cobalt-blue checkerboard without Lois's input. Aunt Jane was on the line, asking if we knew any real estate agents. Her friend, Myrna, needed to sell her Westover house, but she was still in the Philippines. A list of numbers in both our handwriting hung taped alongside the telephone receiver, so I jotted down the address.
Yep! Idyllic garden apartment community life— exactly how it was at Glenayr back in the 90s.
ReplyDeleteThis piece drips with nostalgia and the title says it all. I love learning how you end up in Westover.
ReplyDelete