Personal algorithms can be like a truth serum, and mine tells a confession of my most shallow self. Thankfully, I know when I’ve had enough. I routinely remove addictive apps from my phone with the most determined of tap-holds until they are out of my vulnerable sight, which is what I did this weekend.
Some observations:
1. Instead of scrolling through recommendations for anti-wrinkle cream, Botox, and eyelid surgery, I spent time with friends and remembered that gravity isn’t a personal failure, but a universal reality.
2. Instead of learning about getting ripped abs at 50 with this daily Pilates routine and GLP-1 therapy, I looked in the mirror at yoga and saw every body type and mine in one room.
3. Instead of stylists tempting me with their curated carts of the latest pick of wide leg pants and the shoes Gwyneth Paltrow wears, I opened my closet and discovered I already have pants and shoes.
4. Instead of replaying songs from viral videos in my head, the soundtrack of the last two days is inspired by playlists of my past and present.
In other words, my senses are sensitive, and I’m better off when I mind what I see and hear.
This is a great reminder that intentional consumption is an art of its own. These days it seems best to turn off, tune out, and drop in.
ReplyDeleteI so admire your commitment in this post to take care of yourself. Your point that social media is the predator and you are the prey is a great reminder that humans (especially our children) are vulnerable and susceptible to the false endorphin rush delivered by social media.
ReplyDeleteI thank you for this timely PSA!
ReplyDelete