Then was a period of empowerment--the wooden spoon was my paintbrush, and the dinner hour was my canvas. I recall a binder of printed recipes and hand-written shopping lists that I made in response. Bon Appetit pages with notes scribbled in the margins still occupy my bookshelf in the yearbook and photo album section collecting dust.
My son and I made fried rice on Wednesday night. Almost every ingredient came from the vegetable drawer except for the aspirational tofu I purchased on a whim. I'm grateful for the wok that's hot enough to make every sauce sizzle. The power move came from the 12-year-old who plated the dish with a sunny-side-up egg atop each soy-infused dome, monuments to our culinary efforts. We sank our forks into a satisfying feast of our combined creation.
I'm not known for my cooking, but I can cook.
I always love your food. Cooking is an art and you are an artist.
ReplyDeleteCooking certainly gives you one more creative outlet. However, if I had someone else who enjoyed to cook I'd be happy to wait patiently at the table.
ReplyDeleteThis description is so yummy - topped with a sunny-side-up egg! I wonder if cooking with the 12 year-old, though, is the real treasure?
ReplyDeleteOooh, the egg on top is clutch! We also use whatever is in the veggie drawer when making fried rice. Can your son talk to my son about helping?
ReplyDelete