Thursday, March 16, 2023

Facing fears

I was in middle school when VHS video cameras became a big deal. My brother, five years older, was enthralled with the technology. The red record light was blinking a lot there for a while. My younger sister--still in elementary--was a real ham. She'd sing every lyric to the Mickey and Minnie soundtrack for the camera without a thought. I, however, was humiliated. When my siblings were staging scenes for their next big independent film, I was giving the metaphorical finger to the paparazzi. 

"Basta!" I'd think, rolling my eyes, as I retreated to my room out of sight. 

Now, I'm putting together a portfolio for National Board Teacher Certification, and the famous video component is on my to-do list. I wouldn't describe myself as shy over the last twenty years of my career. I love leading a class through lessons with or without the spotlight shining on me. Is it worth mentioning that since those family video days, musical theater was my niche? Shuffling off to Buffalo, I only needed a sec to grab my tap shoes. But the idea of capturing my class on tape, though, activated the familiar jitters of my pre-adolescent days.

Today, I did it. I planned a lesson--as teachers do--and then I taught it--also pretty standard. The good news is that the camera was on to catch it all. Did I panic? Shake in my boots? Break out in a cold sweat? Not a bit! And the relief of discovering that I have more than 15 minutes of footage to analyze? So sweet.

One video down. One more to go. 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting that first video done - what a hurdle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a teaching star shines! Congratulations on getting out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of our former student and videographer, Femi: "Now that's good television!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to face your past and prep for the future while staying in the present. Good luck! One more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! I'm so impressed by your ambition. Your star shines brightly.

    ReplyDelete