Thursday, March 2, 2023

Coffee or Tea

Mornings are for strong coffee. It is as much a bitter jolt as it is a ritual before every school day. I’ve tried the handy self-timed brew, but my efforts to the carafe, measuring out the grounds, plus the triangulated steps I take from the counter to the sink to the fridge create its own zen. Sometimes I carry my cup all morning, taking mouthfuls until it comes up empty. Then there are days when its existence is sufficient—when conversations compete for my attention and win, but my coffee is both player and fan in the stands. We exchange knowing looks because I’m so glad she's there.

Afternoons are for herbal tea. Walking down the hall of my classroom, I fill a carafe from the fountain and listen for the steamy boil before brewing a soothing lemon ginger, peppermint, or peach. By now, the students have gone, and my beverage and I get some alone time. She doesn't mind that I'm multi-tasking, tapping away on my laptop, reading messages, and checking off items on my to-do list as I take sip after sip. Quite intentionally, I get no kick from tea. A spot of honey is not the only shot of sweetness I get to round out the day. Like I said about my friend Coffee, I am just grateful for the company.

2 comments:

  1. Leah - I love the personification of both drinks, and the complete interdependence! I'm going to have to try tea in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the coffee/tea posts. The personification works well, especially the bit about coffee being “both player and fan”.

    ReplyDelete