Friday, March 11, 2022

What time is it?

What time is it? 4:30. 

My son, the barista, has an early-morning gig. He's no stranger to the bike commute, but I've been giving him a lift when shifts begin before the sun rises. Confession: I'm now the mom who gets in the car with her PJs on. At this hour, I can steal more sleep before my second alarm sounds. Not this morning.

Today, I seized the day. Out of my flannel pants, I jumped into proper gear and readied myself for the gym. On our way, we counted cars, acknowledged the stranger who routinely chooses the street over the sidewalk, and wondered aloud if we might ever sleep in again.  

Does anyone remember the Spin Doctors? I was in high school when a new friend described their scene. Picture NYC, all the lights, and you're up all night. I couldn't fathom that anyone my age would have found themselves at their show, but first-hand accounts set me daydreaming for every teenage year thereafter. 

It's not late, naw, naw. It's early. early.

(A closer look suggests their lyrics are worth another post.) This morning, though, the melody played innocently in my ear. A reminder that we need not be slaves to time.

When a day begins and when it ends is nobody's business but our own.

5 comments:

  1. I remember the Spin Doctors, and saw them live at UConn in CT ... they put on a pretty good show, in the short time they had the spotlight with funk and groove ... when their bass player left, the band never sounded the same ..
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I remember that. So much potential, until…

      Delete
  2. You are not the only one up at 4:30, but I am impressed that you went to the gym. Thanks for the tunes while reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive. An early morning work-out and a theme song to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Daddio! I loved the 90s. (What time did you get back into your flannel pants last night?)

    ReplyDelete