Sometimes a writer is moved to share. When I welcomed you to the stage by announcing, "The chair is open. Do we have any takers?" you either contemplated, cajoled, or cringed. You felt the rumbling at your table. The window was closed, but you felt a breeze. You might have turned to your partner, locked eyes, and given them the nod. Or perhaps you averted your gaze to avoid your own recruitment. I tried to interpret the whites of your eyes, the sideways glance, or the clenched fist. But I'm basic. As soon as anyone broke through the silence and walked to the front, I cheered.
Thanks to you for cheering, too.
There are also writers who don't need to say it out loud. In case you need reminding, brilliance can exist in silence. I have read the black and white letters that fill your pages, somewhere between 5 lines and 500, and I don't need the audio feature to send me on a multi-dimensional journey around your world. You've explored the cans and the cannots, what is dear and what is doomed. Poetry or prose, line by line. Although the speaking chair was open, your seat was just fine. You turned your head toward someone else, but you were not forgotten.
Social norms call for us to applaud the speaker. This post is my standing ovation to you.
What a beautiful slice - a tribute to the audience. It really made me think about how it's important to cheer on our audience, not just the sharers, performers, readers, etc. I love your last sentence - "This post is my standing ovation to you"
ReplyDeleteOh how I love this post! I love the one standing on a chair and the students who cheered. I love how deeply you read your students' poetry and I love this line "brilliance can exist in silence". I wish I could be in your classroom for poetry because I know magic is happening there.
ReplyDeleteSo well written in general...and turning to the audience to address their audience-ness and it's importance. I wonder what other unsung heros could be cheered in a similar way?
ReplyDeleteGirl! No way you're basic.
ReplyDelete“brilliance can exist in silence” and “this post is my standing ovation to you” got me all teary. We need more teachers like you, who see and honor the unheard.
ReplyDelete