That moment when I thought I was going to fall off the side of a castle, I experienced pure terror, until I discovered I was on a slippery slide which made the ride down a pure delight. Then I woke up.
On my drive to school, I saw a familiar long-legged dog and their short-legged person. The walking lady had shed her furry parka, but she had the same fierce look of determination. That one scruffy dad and his equally scruffy son were late for the bus, but waiting at the light, I saw they made it. Then I got to teach.
Instead of sharing yesterday's slice with every kid, I shared it with the group that inspired me to write it. They understood it best because they were in it, my Teacher Town celebrities. Then they kept writing.
In the middle of a spirited conversation with a friend, she remembered she was late for the Ramadan kickoff to celebrate a new prayer space. She didn't stop talking while she threw a beautiful abaya over her head. I helped her with the buttons. Then she left to pray.
When I arrived home from work, there were dumplings waiting. We all ate them standing up at the counter, dipping sauce and all, and recounted news of the day. Allie the dog sat like a lady in hope of just a morsel. She might have gotten one or two. Then we took her for an evening stroll.
Speaking of morsels, These slices are the perfect morsels of stories!
ReplyDeleteThe list of moments read like a dream. I was totally on that ride with you, from the drive to school to the dumpling devouring. Thank you thank you for sharing your writing chops with us. I’ve also appreciated your comments, fueling me when I needed it most. Looking forward to catching up soon.
ReplyDeleteSo many stories to tell - good thing you made a list to remember these moments. Happy April!
ReplyDelete